Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Drunk in Japan


Drunk in Japan
Originally uploaded by Nate-san.
Since my trip to Nagano I’ve been trying not to spend too much money. Consequently my life has been pretty quiet of late...

I’ve been out drinking a few times with some Japanese mates, which is always fun, especially as they don’t know a lot of English and they always seem to end up paying for most of it, even if I insist.

Actually its interesting how gaijin (foreigners) ate treated in Japan. We can either be ignored completely or people can be extremely generous. Just recently I left a bar with my mates then, after seeing them off home, I went back in for another drink. Not having a lot of money on me I was keeping a close eye on my drink, however the bar staff kept topping it up. When I told them I was short on cash they told me not to worry about it because someone else in the bar was covering my tab!

Ok, so this kind of thing doesn’t happen all the time but it certainly happens a lot more here than it does back home, and on those days it is great being a foreigner in Japan.

3 comments:

Suds said...

Dude that's awesome. I got a few free drinks when I was in Japan over the holidays paid for by friendly locals, but I never had a secret admirer pay for my tab!

NateinTokyo said...

It all depends on where you go and who you go with. Being the only foreigner to go to that bar I'm a novelty for them. But this kind of thing happens in other places too. I had som random Japanese girls taking photos of me in another bar the other night just because I was the only "gaijin" in the place. Of course they giggled like naughty school girls when I caught them doing it!

Suds said...

They do love to giggle ;)