Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A cold ride


Cold Ride
Originally uploaded by Nate-san.
Here’s a little something I noted down back in January:

Gaily humming along to “The Girl from Ipanema” coming from speakers hidden in the street above, while trying not to fall over the sludgy remains of yesterday’s snowfall, I can’t help but marvel at this place… Tokyo… The only city I have encountered where it can be snowing and you will still see girls in shorty shorts and pumps. It’s just… beautiful.

Of course it would help if most Japanese girls actually had asses to fill out those little shorty shorts but… you make do with what’s available.

Tokyo… Not so much a cultural melting pot as a mixed bag where everything tends to clash. I don’t say this in a bad way… I mean… If we were to compare Tokyo to, say fashion, then it could be said that Tokyo is the Socks and Sandals combination. From the outside they don’t quite seem to match, but Math teachers the world over will tell you that the socks and sandals combo provides not only comfort but freedom.

It’s also the only place I know where people ride their bikes to work in the snow.

No comments: