Friday, September 29, 2006

The Mr. Postman Flower


J-English
Originally uploaded by Nate-san.
Harajuku: the place where cool young Japanese go to buy trendy clothes with poorly constructed English phrases printed on them. I suppose I should feel some comfort in the fact that English is the "in thing" in Japan (or at least Tokyo) these days, however I can't help but shake my head every time I read another mangled English sentence. A case in point is this t-shirt. It has words on it I'm sure don't even exist!

DOMESTIC WORDS IS SIMPLE BUT BEAUTIFUL SOUND.
IT'S DEEP CECRETS AND PURE SUPRITUAL.

What the hell is a "cecret" and how the hell is it "supritual"??? Here's another one I read on a bag on the train.

IT IS ELATED THAT IT ENTERS THE POST AND THE LETTER REACHES.
THE LETTER IS SURE TO REACH FROM THE FRIEND TODAY.
THE MR. POSTMAN FLOWER IS DELIVERED TO THE SIGN.

Pure gobbledy-gook! The Mr. Postman flower??? While I love the fact English is becoming more and more popular they could at least spend a little more time getting it right when it comes to putting it on consumer products.

Then again... there's probably hundreds of people back home in Australia walking around with "foreign wanker" tattooed to to their bodies in kanji so I guess that makes us even.

Hell for all I know there may be a Mr. Postman flower wandering around delivering things to signs. There's lots of things I don't know about this country.

Aside from the bad English though (which actually gives me a chuckle when I see it) I'm still loving Japan. What can I say? It's one of the most SUPRITUAL places I've ever been... whatever that means.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe, Nate, I also saw the bag about the postman once in the Tokyo Metro, and I also shook my head :-)